8 ways to find the chill



Its really easy to get caught up in all the bullshit. Like. Really easy. Am I right? [I know you are all nodding along... so I will continue] Its almost like, as humans, we have this predisposition to get caught up in all the drama, even though most of us will swear that we hate it. I don't know why, but it is like there is this deep subconscious gravitational pull. Whether it is in your social life, or you work life, or maybe even in your personal life. One of the things that I am trying to work on at the moment is my chill. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I am totally ruled by my emotions, and as a result stress is something that really can throw me off course. So I am working on it. I am learning the things that help me navigate the somethings rocky road in front of me, and how to notice my triggers [total whole other post on that coming sometime soon I think]. And I have picked some stuff up along the way, stuff you might find helpful in navigating your way to a little more peace in your life too. So grab a cup of tea [always a good idea] and get ready to find the chill.


Stop saying yes to things you really don't want to do // Oh man. Seriously, I almost need to tattoo this on the back of my hand or something. I am totally a yes person. I like to please others, I like to make others happy, and sometimes it is at my own expense. I have learnt over the last few months that sometimes in order to make myself happy I need to say no. I need to stop trying to do everything and simply commit to the things that I am really excited about, or the things that make me as happy as they do others. Its not an act of selfishness as much as an act of self preservation.

Commit to less negative self talk // Every time that you recognise that voice inside your head telling yourself that you are dumb or fat or lazy or a bitch or anything else that isn't true, call it out. Reframe it in your mind, and replace the negative self talk with positive talk! I'm not suggesting standing in front of your mirror reciting mantras on how sexy you are or how amazing you look [but if thats your jam then run with it girl] but simply stopping yourself from saying nasty things to yourself can do a world of good. Basically, treat yourself like your best friend.

Clear out the toxic relationships.
This one is a tricky one. But honestly, at the end of the day you deserve to be surrounded by people who are freaking awesome and treat you right. Friends who are there for you when shit gets rough as well as when everything is sparkly. DOn't be a douche and just block them on social media, put your big girl panties and break up like an adult. Its shit, but its for your own good.

Complain less // Remove all the stuff from your world [especially your social media world] that makes you frustrated. If you follow someone who you think is an idiot and you find yourself bagging them out to others on the regular, click the unlike button. Look for the positives, don't be a jerk, and remember that those things you are complaining about, you have the power to change. ooooh.

Make sure you sleep. Well // I have found that since I have allowed myself to find my sleeping rhythm I am in such a better place all around.  I use to try and cram as much into my day as possible, and would be cranky at 6am when I was trying to wake up to get to the gym. Not no more. I listen to my body. I sleep when I need to, and I make sure that I get the 8.5-9 hours that MY body needs.

Celebrate your victories // And I am not just talking about movement in the scales and I am definitely not talking about celebrating with cake. Don't be afraid to tell people you are doing well. Maybe you hit a milestone on your fitbit tracker, or perhaps you put on a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a few months. Or maybe you cleaned out the pantry even though there was a gilmore girls marathon on. Toot your own horn, toot it loud and toot it for all to hear. TOOT!

Start a gratitude practice // I have recently started doing this. And I hope to share more about it soon. But seriously. Get amongst this. By simply writing down things that make you grateful life seems just a little bit brighter. Its like suddenly you start to look for the positive, and life around you just starts to kind of move in that direction. Honestly I have no idea why it works, but it does. So I suggest getting amongst it.

Stop the comparison game // This is a huge one. Especially for those of us out there trying to change our weight and health. Stop looking at what everyone else is doing and start looking at what YOU are doing. Social media is the best and worst thing to happen to us girls on this journey. The support network is amazing. The advice can be great too. But the comparison that naturally seems to occur because 'she lost 50kgs in 6 months' or 'she only ate cabbage and lost 10kgs' is sabotaging you. It makes you think you aren't as good as someone else. When in fact you are awesome, and your story is just different. Thats all.

1 comment:

THIS WEEK ON INSTAGRAM

Back to Top